Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Busy Start to Summer!


Life has been extra busy at the Johnson household! Summer is always a fun time with lots of stuff to occupy our time. (so busy I forgot to blog) We started off the week after school was out with VBS. The kids just loved it and had a wonderful time. The theme this year was The Boomerang Express. Something about a boomerang and a clever verse about It all comes back to JESUS. The next week was a week of no babysitter. And yes I had confused the weeks and didn't realize it was upon me..... so I stayed home most of the week with the kids. It wasn't too bad. Well, maybe it wasn't to great either. I give a big hand to those moms who homeschool. I'm not sure I could make it. Maybe I could...
That week allowed for some time for baking. I decided to try out several different cake recipes I found on the internet. Thanks to Barefoot Contessa we all gained a couple extra pounds too. Madison has set the DVR to record all of her shows. She loves to cook too! I made Beatty's Chocolate Cake. It was the best chocolate cake I've ever made. It was a little more complicated than just the norm for me but definetly worth the effort!
The other cake I made was another Ina Garten recipe. It was a Coconut Cake. My favorite was the chocolate. I'm a big fan of chocolate. The coconut was good but it was a very heavy and dense cake. The chocolate was so moist it practically fell apart when I was icing it. Oh.... the icing was to die for. The major problem I had was the lumps in the icing. If you look close you can see them. My sifter broke as I was sifting the flour and so....LUMPS! Oh well, it still tasted fabulous. If you love chocolate then you must try this one.

3 comments:

Life is all about PINK said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Life is all about PINK said...

That chocolate cake looks delicious!

Cindy's Cache said...

Both cakes were wonderful! So impressive!